[Axiom-developer] chunking

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] chunking
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:20:28 -0400

In fact chunks (except in makefiles) chunks are only used to
"lift" pieces of text from the main <<*>> chunk for explanation.
I'm unaware of any place where I use chunks within chunks.

The primary use of chunking is to reorder the program source into
a document-style of explanation. If I'm working on the system and
get a deeper understanding of a function, heavily modify a function,
or generally have something special to say I will lift the function
into a chunk, make it a section or subsection, and include documentation.

Within the top level makefile (only, as far as I know) the
chunk-within-chunk pattern is used to customize the Makefile.${SYS}
chunks. Since this involves repeated code that has to be included
in many different outputs it is useful to define the chunk in one
place and use it in multiple places.

Tim
address@hidden
address@hidden