Re: [Axiom-developer] autoload

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] autoload
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:19:52 -0500

Camm,

re: patch. I'll look at it.

re: zaurus 5600

the 5600 isn't an ARM chip, it's an intel x-scale chip which i believe
is binary compatible with x86. i'm about to find out...

i have the terminal app installed, i've seen it do wireless network
browsing, and i'm trying to figure out how to build a .ipk file so I
can run the app installer. it looks like they might be tar.gz
files. the next step is to tar up a GCL lisp image and try to get it
on the machine.

i wish they had indented the tops of the keyboard keys so i could
hunt-and-peck with the stylus.

overall i have to rate the 5600 an A+. it's an amazing hunk of
hardware and software. took literally seconds to network.
400 Mhz, 196M memory, wireless connectivity, linux, pocketsized.
personally i'd have skipped the consumer market, gone bigtime
into the geek market, and advertised on slashdot.

i'm hoping somebody does a wireless cpu/disk i can bolt to my
hip that depends on an 802 keyboard/display tablet. That way
i can carry all of my data and programs around, walk up to any
pc anywhere, and be able to work instantly. splitting off the
display and keyboard from the cpu/memory/disk gives much better
form factors for both.

re: compile failure

That particular compile takes a long while to compile which might
explain the timeout. I'm rather curious what the compiler could
be doing for so long on this file. I suspect a minor rewrite will
reorder the category search and it will compile nearly instantly.
That is a task for another day.