Re: [Axiom-developer] bitkeeper

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] bitkeeper
Date: 26 Jan 2004 10:58:15 -0500

Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

> Has anyone used bitkeeper? I've been trolling the linux kernel
> mailing list and it seems that a fair number of the developers
> have moved off CVS and onto bitkeeper (www.bitkeeper.com).

Must confess I've never used it, but understand that although it has
some nice features, there can be nasty strings attached.  I've seen
reports of the bitkeeper folk revoking certain individuals' 'license'
to use their software, and also understand that it is forbidden, for
example, to use bitkeeper to develop an alternate source revision
control system.  My impression is that it is quite restricted, and can
lead to trouble down the road.

I've heard of a number of other truly open alternatives, though have
not tried any (e.g. aegis?, subversion?).  Would be interested in
reading a knowledgeable comparison.

Take care,