Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: proposal to create the Axiom Foundation (was:

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: proposal to create the Axiom Foundation (was: bounties etc.)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:43:11 -0800

I have just sent out my $100 via paypal.  Sorry I have been out for
surgery for a while, still catching up on email...  I ask that it be
used for a new mathematical domain, extension, or algorithm.  (As
opposed to an interface, compiling, or integration issue, of which there
seem to be many...)  I will look over the wishlist and see if anything
catches my eye.  But feel free to allocate these funds without specific
instruction from me.

Can someone summarize the funds collected so far and the bounties out?
We have proposals on::

    http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/AxiomFoundation

but no concrete promise of bounties for anything specific.

Also let me add my voice that I think the bounties so far are too small,
or the goals not big enough.  It has been noted that $100 is a nice
award in poorer countries.  In US monetary terms I think our goal should
be $500 minimum, which is roughly one to two weeks of a grad student's
time.  I think efforts smaller than this will not benefit from bounties.
But then...I'd like to be proven wrong on that...  And of course we are
funds limited for now.

Also, has it been decided who are the foundation members?  Am I one?

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the
    votes." -- Joseph Stalin