Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc

From: Bertfried Fauser
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:26:21 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Martin Rubey wrote:
> > root writes:
> >  > The longer term goal is either to merge it with the mathaction wiki code
> >  > (assuming we can make that run on a users machine),
> > OK.
> >  > merge it into TeXmacs
> > NO NO NO, only if it runs without TeXmacs. I don't want to switch between
> > emacs
> > and TeXmacs. NEVER!
> Interesting. My feelings are exactly opposite. I very much dislike the
> idea that, in order to do computer algebra, I have to run an http server,
> a browser, a wiki and what else.

Hi,

        amazing discussion, but also for me, the number of additional
things to install (web server, wiki, webbrowser (ok thats there), ...) is
an obstacle against using such a tool.

Why not LaTeX, one even could incorporate into axiom style some new
environments like
\begin{AXIOMcode}[filename.spad]
\end{AXIOMcode}
which separate the contant of "code" tag into a code file, probably given
as option?

This would allow to produce "help pages" having code which is parsed
through axiom like
\begin{AXIOMexample}
\end{AXIOMexample}
such an environment would need to start axiom and filter the code through
it and receive the TeX answer of AXIOM. Ideally this would be done over a
socket connection to a runing AXIOM instance (to keep the former results
available) and not issue an AXIOM instance each time

[a problem might be to handle exceptions due to errors]

Such a system would need the commands to be run
LaTeX
AXIOM
LaTeX
to produce a dvi file, which could be also a pfd file which even offers
some interactive behaviour (one can run AXIOM from indisde a pdf file!)

I do not know what noweb does more than extraction of code, if so some
post processing of the LaTeX extracted code would be necessary.

All in all, I opt *strongly* for full fleged LaTeX

Perhaps an addition, with LaTeX (prosper files style) one can make quite
nice interactive pdf-presentations and in the above described setting, one
might even be able to produce pdf-slides which call AXIOM and display
AXIOM results by pressing the button, that would be great for
presentations....

ciao
BF.

% PD Dr Bertfried Fauser
%     Institution: Max Planck Institut for Math, Leipzig <http://www.mis.mpg.de>
%   Privat Docent: University of Konstanz, Phys Dept
<http://www.uni-konstanz.de>
%  contact|->URL : http://clifford.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~fauser/
%          Phone : Leipzig +49 341 9959 735  Konstanz +49 7531 693491