Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:34:54 -0800

root address@hidden wrote:
> But in the longer the whole hypertex browser needs redesign.
> It was written before browsers existed and is showing its age.
> My short term goal is to just get it working everywhere, not to
> change it as that way lies endless work.
>
> The longer term goal is either to merge it with the mathaction wiki
> code (assuming we can make that run on a users machine), merge it
> into TeXmacs or expand it to become more of the "crystal" idea.
> But much design discussion has to occur before we trek off into
> new areas and we're not ready yet.

I can separate the latex and stx pieces from the rest of latexwiki, in
order to render documents that users can view in their web browser.
(i.e. dumping zwiki and zope)  It will still require
latex/ghostscript/dvips/PIL or itex, and of course python.  I expect at
this point someone to shout "do it in lisp!"  ;)

However, it will still require some kind of server to render the
documents since a web page, running on a local machine, cannot call
external programs such as axiom and latex.

Maybe hyperdoc could evolve into that server?  e.g. typing hyperdoc
spawns mozilla... or )help in axiom spawns mozilla (or opens a new tab
in your existing mozilla).

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "Faith: Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks
    without knowledge, of things without parallel." -- Ambrose Bierce