RE: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM for Windows: )copyright and )summary issue

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM for Windows: )copyright and )summary issue
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:14:23 -0500

On Sunday, January 16, 2005 5:34 PM William Sit wrote:

> This is a known bug. "cat" is a unix command like "type" in
> DOS. But "cat" is normally not installed in Windows machines.
> If you install some unix tools for Windows, including "cat",
> then there will be no such display problems.

Vladimir report is based on the windows version of "Tuesday
November 30, 2004". Since that time there have been at least
two updates. See

http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/AxiomDownload

This problem was corrected in a later version. In general,
keep in mind that this is pre-release version and it will
be updated often. In fact I have another major update to
the pre-release Windows version that I hope to upload this
week.

> I have "cat" in my cygwin installation and once put into
> the path, that works.

No, this is the wrong solution. The cygwin version of "cat"
will only work if this pre-release version of Axiom is
installed in a path that does not contain spaces. The version
of "cat" that is included in Windows (exe) version 0.1.3
works proper when there are spaces.

However note that there is another bug lurking concerning
the need for the unix "rm" command during )compile. That is
one of the bugs that will be fixed with the next upload.

> Unfortunately the dos command type does not understand unix
> path convention -- otherwise, creating a cat.bat file with
> one line
>
> type %1
>
> and putting it into your path would have worked.

As you say, this is the wrong solution.

> You need three files cat.exe, cygwin1.dll, cygintl-1.dll and
> put these in your path. I will send these to you separately.

I do not recommend that you follow this advice.