RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicit depende ncies,

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicit depende ncies, bootstrap, fixed-points etc.
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 04:06:48 -0500

Tim,

On January 17, 2005 10:31 PM you wrote:

> Next we see the transition to compiling the non-BOOTSTRAP algebra.
> This is done in the interpsys image. It is also done in an image
> that has access to only the BOOTSTRAP algebra code. Thus the
> new compiler might not have all of the algebra-defined replacements
> available at compile time. Notice the autoload files that contain
> the optimizations.

What do you mean by "algebra-defined replacements". Where are
these replacements defined? How are they different than the
"optimizations" contained in the autoload files?

> A second or third round of compiles will expose the algebra-based
> optimizations and these will be compiled into the code.

What do you mean by "expose". Why does this cause interpsys to
be re-built? That is necessary if code is going to be generated
based on new optimizations isn't it?

> Since these are only optimizations the final results should not
> be affected.

But it could have an impact on overall performance, right?

In src/interp/Makefile.pamphlet you wrote:

"database.date is a marker file used to force a rebuild of
interpsys if the database is rebuilt (src/algebra/Makefile)."

But the marker file actually used in src/algebra/Makefile was
actually `dbcomplete' - that is, at least until I eliminated the
use of the marker file altogether and replaced it with a wild
card list of the `*.NRLIB/code.o' dependencies. So I don't know
if this ever worked quite in the manner expected.

We have the stanzas:

${SAVESYS}:     ${DEPSYS} ${OBJS} ${OUT}/util.${O} ${OUT}/nocompil.${LISP} \
                ${OUT}/sys-pkg.${LISP} \
                ${OUTINTERP} ${OCOBJS} ${OPOBJS} ${BROBJS} ${OUT}/obey.${O}
\
                ${OUT}/database.date ${INOBJS} ${ASCOMP} ${ASAUTO} \
                ${NAGBROBJS} ${TRANOBJS} \
                ${LOADSYS} \
                ${MNT}/${SYS}/algebra/exposed.${O} \
                ${SRC}/doc/msgs/s2-us.msgs \
                ${INT}/algebra/warm.data

${OUT}/database.date:
        @ echo 617 the database was updated...remaking interpsys
        @ touch ${OUT}/database.date

Still after reading the interp and algebra Makefiles again,
I do not see why interpsys is being rebuilt after I delete
all the *.NRLIB's and repeat the 'make'. I am still missing
something somewhere. Is there some "missing link" that still
connects the algebra/Makefile back to the inter/Makefile?