RE: [Axiom-developer] Trying a fresh build and the errors!

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Trying a fresh build and the errors!
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:48:48 -0500

Daniel,

On Monday, January 24, 2005 6:56 PM you wrote:

> Thanks Bill,
>
> It worked; now with the proper options it had a build of
> the GCL engine.

Great.

> Now, I wonder if this is a system specific glich or is it
> general? If the later applies I think it should be included
> in the CVS!

It is specific to some versions of linux/unix.

The Axiom build process specifies certain options to the GCL
./configure (the ones you changed) during the build of GCL
without checking for specific hardware and operating system
versions. Perhaps it is not being sufficiently careful. The
GCL ./configure does check for many things but I am not sure
if the default ./configure options for GCL would have correctly
built GCL on your system in a manner compatible with Axiom.

> Secondly, again a question: What is the status of HyperDoc
> and the graphing functions (mentioned in the book). Are they
> included for now in the default build?

Axiom graphics is included in the version that you downloaded
from CVS. To use Axiom graphics with this version you have to
start Axiom with the command:

  sman

Hyperdoc and graphics are available in the newest (still
experimental) version of Axiom is available in another archive.
See

http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/ArchUsage

The current plan is that this new version of Axiom will be
"pubished" on the Savannah CVS on February 1.