[Axiom-developer] Units and Dimensions update

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Units and Dimensions update
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:21:19 -0700 (PDT)

The digging continues, and to my surprise there is a considerable body
of research on these issues.  Just for openers, I've stumbled across
several lisp implementations of unit/dimensional concepts, a Phd thesis
on incorporating units/dimensions into programming, and a paper about
an attempt to teach the formal Z language about units!  Yikes.  Quite a
bit of homework to do, so I may fall off the radar screen a bit while I
try to adsorb at least some of this.  (Plus, my home internet will be
off for quite a while, so that won't help either.)  If nothing else,
I'll try to leave a good bibtex file behind to help someone more
competent than myself.  Never assume anything will be simple!

Dr. Sit has been very helpful with his comments, and I wish to thank
him for his generosity.  Definite progress has been made but clearly I
need to familiarize myself with the work out there on this subject
before I will be competent to make further revisions.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out the email
address "smustudent1" is actually no longer correct - I haven't been a
student at SMU for several years.  The choice was a rather unfortunate
one - I assumed the Yahoo address would not live beyond my
undergraduate years.  Oops.  I actually have a day job that has nothing
to do with CASs, so unlike most folks here I'm a hobbyist rather than
an academic.  I do have a B.S. in Physics, a B.A. in Mathematics, and a
Masters in Materials Science, but I'm not currently active in academia.
 While it would be fun to get into this from an academic standpoint I
doubt the funding would ever be available, or the interest from a
research standpoint.

Anyway, just wanted to let y'all know the effort continues!

Cheers,
CY