[Axiom-developer] Re: Units and Dimensions update

From: Jens Axel Søgaard
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Units and Dimensions update
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:42:58 +0200

C Y wrote:
The digging continues, and to my surprise there is a considerable body
of research on these issues.  Just for openers, I've stumbled across
several lisp implementations of unit/dimensional concepts, a Phd thesis
on incorporating units/dimensions into programming, and a paper about
an attempt to teach the formal Z language about units!  Yikes.  Quite a
bit of homework to do, so I may fall off the radar screen a bit while I
try to adsorb at least some of this.  (Plus, my home internet will be
off for quite a while, so that won't help either.)  If nothing else,
I'll try to leave a good bibtex file behind to help someone more
competent than myself.  Never assume anything will be simple!

Just in case you haven't come across it, the language Frink has
focused on units and conversions between units:

    <http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/>

The documentation is quite humourous and worth a read.

The language was presented at the Lightweight Languages 4
conference at MIT and a video from that presentation is available
along with the slides at:

    <http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/LL4.html>

--
Jens Axel Søgaard