Re: [Axiom-developer] MuPad under trouble

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MuPad under trouble
Date: 09 Nov 2005 11:03:45 +0100

Dear Nicolas, Bertfried, *

Nicolas: I'm copying this to you, since I'd like you to correct me if I'm
mistaken...

Bertfried Fauser <address@hidden> writes:

> The combinat people integrated a tremendous amount of code from symmetrica,
> partly SCHUR and forged from these special purpose (few used?)  programs a
> good tool. The point is that MuPad code is very AXIOMish

But you do know that MuPAD Combinat itself is released under the LGPL? See:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mupad-combinat/

In fact, summer last year I asked Nicolas Thiery about porting Combinat to
Axiom and he seemed *very* much in favor of it. (In order to have a second
platform. *NOT* as a replacement, of course.) So this can and should certainly
be done. I also put it as an item on the MathAction WishList, in fact...

To do the porting, it would be great if somebody knowledgeable of the bigger
structures in MuPAD (i.e., what does a domain, a category look like) would
write a bunch of regexps that would save us a bit of typing...

Other than that, Nicolas is *very* responsive, and he gave me some suggestions
where to start, but I admit, I forgot.

So, dig in!

Martin