Re: [Axiom-developer] MuPad under trouble

From: Bertfried Fauser
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MuPad under trouble
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:41:17 +0100 (CET)

On 9 Nov 2005, Martin Rubey wrote:

Hello Martin,

I knew that MuPad Combinat is open source. And I had some discussions with
Tomazet and other Marn le Valle people about a port and *they* told me its
easy. However, for me its rather difficult to see what the combinat code
does, furthermore, some additional code, as that of symmetrica is included
as C source code and would have to undergo a major change though. And last
but not least, its a tremendous amount of code (200.000 lines was told to
me ?)
        For me the stopping line was, that major features of SCHUR, which
I need for my research work are *not (yet?)* included in Combinat, so that
issue would come on top of it. Given my abilities in programming I don't
feel fit for such a task. Hence my Idea to steal what I need and build
around some own functions...

By tha way: Is there a possibility for AXIOM to interact with external
C-functions via a sort of wrapper?

ciao
BF.

> Dear Nicolas, Bertfried, *
>
> Nicolas: I'm copying this to you, since I'd like you to correct me if I'm
> mistaken...
>
> Bertfried Fauser <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The combinat people integrated a tremendous amount of code from symmetrica,
> > partly SCHUR and forged from these special purpose (few used?)  programs a
> > good tool. The point is that MuPad code is very AXIOMish
>
> But you do know that MuPAD Combinat itself is released under the LGPL? See:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mupad-combinat/
>
> In fact, summer last year I asked Nicolas Thiery about porting Combinat to
> Axiom and he seemed *very* much in favor of it. (In order to have a second
> platform. *NOT* as a replacement, of course.) So this can and should certainly
> be done. I also put it as an item on the MathAction WishList, in fact...
>
> To do the porting, it would be great if somebody knowledgeable of the bigger
> structures in MuPAD (i.e., what does a domain, a category look like) would
> write a bunch of regexps that would save us a bit of typing...
>
> Other than that, Nicolas is *very* responsive, and he gave me some suggestions
> where to start, but I admit, I forgot.
>
> So, dig in!
>
> Martin

% PD Dr Bertfried Fauser
%     Institution: Max Planck Institute for Math, Leipzig
<http://www.mis.mpg.de>
%   Privat Docent: University of Konstanz, Phys Dept
<http://www.uni-konstanz.de>
%  contact|->URL : http://clifford.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~fauser/
%          Phone : Leipzig +49 341 9959 735  Konstanz +49 7531 693491