Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom + High Energy Physics

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom + High Energy Physics
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:28:25 +0600 (NOVT)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Bob McElrath wrote:
A much more appropriate library for interfacing is the GNU Scientific
Library, BLAS, and LAPACK.  Taken together these cover almost all of the
cernlib routines.  Anything it does not cover should be added to them,
rather than imported from cernlib.  ;)
Right. Taken together, these libraries can be a good substitute for the NAG library which could be used from the commercial Axiom. It would be great to be able to do efficient numeric calculations inside a larger Axiom program, using these 3 excellent libraries.

There is a tricky point, however. GNU Scientific Library (GSL) is licensed under GPL (not LGPL). Therefore, Axiom linked with GSL (either statically or dynamically) is automatically under GPL. A historical example: the author of CLISP was forced (by RMS) to change its license to GPL, because it uses readline. This was my argument when I advocated using GPL for Axiom in the beginning of the project.

Andrey