[Axiom-developer] [WishList]

From: kratt6
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [WishList]
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:38:38 -0600

Changes http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/WishList/diff
--

++added:
  David Mentré added:

  I believe there's a better, faster, more complete choice than Octave. It is
called
  Scilab, and it was developed by the French INRIA (Institute Nationale De
Recherche en
  Informatique et Automation, IIRC), and it is in ongoing development, is very
complete
  (even has a simulation kit). It is also Open Source. Octave pales in
comparison as
  somewhat of a "toy."

  http://scilabsoft.inria.fr/

  For reference: on scilab.org web site, FAQ section:
  Q6. Is Scilab license GPL-compatible?

      According to the Free Software Foundation, Scilab is not a free software.
      See http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html#NonFreeSoftwareLicense.

  Q1. What does the Scilab license mean?

  * Scilab license allows you to:
  ** use freely Scilab for non commercial use
  ** use freely Scilab for commercial use if you do not use it as a derived
software (ie
  a modified Scilab) or a composite software (ie Scilab included in another
software).

  * Scilab license forbids you to:
  ** use a composite or derived version of Scilab for commercial uses without
asking
  INRIA authorization.

++added:
  Update: Meanwhile Renaud provided his [CylindricalAlgebraicDecomposition]
package,
  which solves this item partially.

??changed:
-  See ProgrammingAxiom
  See ProgrammingAxiom. This is nearly done, except of Issue
  219TheInterpreterDoesNotUnderstandDependendTypes

??changed:
-  Update: To get things started, I implemented an operator that represents
recurrences. Look at
-  RecurrenceRelationOperator.
  Update: To get things started, I implemented an operator that represents
recurrences.
  Look at RecurrenceRelationOperator.

??changed:
-  Graphics should be programmable, interactive, suitable for publication.
Mathematica gained much of its popularity because it was early to get
-  the visualization right (almost, at least).
  Graphics should be programmable, interactive, suitable for publication.
Mathematica
  gained much of its popularity because it was early to get the visualization
right
  (almost, at least).

??changed:
-  Although a naive implementation is available now, it would be great if
someone could implement a more sophisticated algorithm. I provided some
-  pointers at the above page.
-
-From unknown Wed Aug 17 21:11:58 -0500 2005
-I believe there's a better, faster, more complete choice than Octave. It is
called Scilab, and it was developed by the French INRIA (Institute Nationale De
Recherche en Informatique et Automation, IIRC), and it is in ongoing
development, is very complete (even has a simulation kit).
-It is also Open Source. Octave pales in comparison as somewhat of a "toy."
-
-
-http://scilabsoft.inria.fr/
-
-
  Although a naive implementation is available now, it would be great if
someone could
  implement a more sophisticated algorithm. I provided some pointers at the
above page.

  Update: This item can be regarded as done. I implemented two different
algorithms, the
  faster one being due to Beckermann and Labahn. Unfortunately, I do not have
the time
  to finish this package right now, since some tricky issues remain. A
preliminary
  version can be obtained by posting to axiom-math.

- Limits

  The LIMITPS package is outdated. We should implement the MRV algorithm
described in

  "On Computing Limits in a Symbolic Manipulation System, Dominik Gruntz. ETH
Diss 11432, 1996."

  which can be obtained from

  http://www.cs.fh-aargau.ch/~gruntz/publications2.html

  Somehow sad, since the algorithm in Axiom is quite elaborate, while Gruntz's
  algorithm seems to be much shorter. It is in fact implemented in MuPAD.

--removed:
-

--
forwarded from http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/address@hidden