[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Wiki FrontPage re-design

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Wiki FrontPage re-design
Date: 26 Nov 2005 10:22:04 +0100

Dear Bill, *

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> a new look for the Front Page for the Axiom Wiki:
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxFrontPage

I think that it looks *very* nice -- especially the colors are well
chosen. Before adoption, I would like to think about it, however. Please give
me a little more time.

> On Friday, November 25, 2005 4:51 AM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> >
> > ... I don't think that it is actually the amount of text
> > which is a problem, it is rather its organisation.

I agree partially. You are probably right that the amount is less of a problem
than it's organisation.

> I agree that the MathAction link is not important to new Axiom users. I hope
> this alternate page layout makes this more clear.

WHAT? Do I parse this sentence correctly?

I am *absolutely* certain that MathAction is of utmost important to new Axiom
users. All of the documentation can be found there, examples how to use it
(SandBox), bugs that show Axioms deficiencies...

Again: I think that our aim should be to make MathAction be the *only* entry
point to the Axiom world. To reach this aim, one of the first steps -- a huge
step though -- would be to make the pamphlet files and the book browsable. Here
goes a big THANK YOU to Bill for providing the sources of Axiom on MathAction!

The FrontPage would then direct into the various chapters of the new Axiombook,
roughly as proposed by Tim. Of course, a printed or even a dvi version would
*look* a bit different: much of the material would be skipped, the layout of
the FrontPage would not be the same as the layout of the table of contents, and
so on. But in principle, the two would have a lot in common.

What remains is an expert on tex4ht. Reminder: Eitan promised to have a look
how to make jsmath a backend for tex4ht this winter break. Ideally, we (well,
sorry, not me) would have some experience with translating the tex code
produced by "ALLPROSE" or "document" into mathml / html with tex4ht.

Another step is to transform the pamphlet files into the ALLPROSE format --
and, if necessary, extend ALLPROSE so that it can handle Axiom. Ralf, am I
correct that this is not really necessary?

Martin