[Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom Wiki FrontPage re-design

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom Wiki FrontPage re-design
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:29:45 -0500

On November 26, 2005 4:22 AM Martin Rubey wrote:

> Bill Page writes:
>
> > a new look for the Front Page for the Axiom Wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxFrontPage
>
> I think that it looks *very* nice -- especially the colors are
> well chosen. Before adoption, I would like to think about it,
> however. Please give me a little more time.

No problem. Make changes to it if you like. Let me know if/when
you would like me to replace it as the new FrontPage.

> > I agree that the MathAction link is not important to new
> > Axiom users. I hope this alternate page layout makes this
> > more clear.
>
> WHAT? Do I parse this sentence correctly?

No, I think you did not understand my intention. It is taken
a bit out of context. The "MathAction link" to which I was
referring is a link to the 'MathAction' page. I would have liked
to have called this page 'AboutMathAction' so there would be less
confusion about the page with this name versus the two websites
with this name. But my attempt to rename the page caused the
flood of edit emails on the axiom-developer email list because
by default on the Axiom Wiki everywhere 'MathAction' is used
it is automatically interpreted as a link to the page with
that name because of the so called 'WikiWord' convention that
a word with two or more capitals should be treated as a link.

I cancelled the rename operation so the name remains 'MathAction'
perhaps at some time in the next few days I will temporarily
disable the email forwarding and let the rename complete.

> I am *absolutely* certain that MathAction is of utmost
> important to new Axiom users. All of the documentation can
> be found there, examples how to use it (SandBox), bugs that
> show Axioms deficiencies...

What I am saying is the detailed information on the 'MathAction'
page about how the **web site** works is not very important to
a new user of Axiom. All they want to do is know more about
Axiom - not about the web site itself (at least I think that
is usually the case).

I definitely did not mean to say that the web site is not
important!