Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: article "standard" header/footer

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: article "standard" header/footer
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:01:36 -0800 (PST)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I think, it's a good idea that you've posted this
> > "standard". I hope it is still in an "discussion" state. I
> > had a quick look at it and there are some parts where I
> > would restructure a bit. For other parts I need
> > to make up my mind first, so this will take some time.
>
> everything is always in the "discussion state" but sometimes
> i just press ahead and try to keep things moving.

That's a Good Thing.

> the "standard" is changing rapidly due to your allprose
> hacking. "quick consensus and running code" as they say in the
> RFCs.

For what it's worth, I would estimate I'll eventually ask to have the
following available, since they are very standard and too big to reall
:

1) hyperref (which I see you've already decided to include)
2) bibtex (I'm working on an example based on the units work, but I
will need to do some thinking before I have a good example ready)
3) XYpic - I think this is gong to prove very very useful once I figure
out how to use it properly - it seems like it might potentially allow
inclusion of graphs directly into pamphlet files and not as graphical
files, among other features - I think it will also allow hyperlinking
nodes of graphs to code, although I'm still trying to come up with a
scheme for layout of such a graph which looks reasonable.
Unfortunately it is GPL so we can't include it in axiom.sty, but tetex
at least includes it by default so I'm guessing it wouldn't be too much
trouble.  Maybe we could contact the authors and ask if it becomes an
issue.

ifthen and fontenc I'm willing to pass up, but I would like to know how
we will handle:

a)  different options to hyperref based on pdf or dvi creation
b)  line breaking of equations
c)  specifying different sizes, fonts, etc for text.  This is probably
just my ignorance of LaTeX

Unless the breqn package license becomes clarified or someone
reimplements (and maybe expands on) the techniques as part of axiom.sty
I'm not sure what to do.  So far AMS does not seem to be responding to
the issue:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-November/msg01029.html
 There are documents where the author tried to describe the algorithms
he was using, so perhaps that would be a useful starting point.

I didn't get in until late Sunday, so I haven't had a chance yet, but I
will put together some examples illustrating what each of these
packages is capable of, and the benefits they can provide.  At the same
time, I'll be posting the current state of the Units and Dimensions
writeup - feel free to tear it up, but remember it's still very much a
work in progress and there are still missing/incomplete parts,
formatting inconsistencies, and plain silliness in abundance.

Cheers,
CY

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/