Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: article "standard" header/footer

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: article "standard" header/footer
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:04:14 -0800 (PST)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > i'm DEEPLY opposed to conditional branching in tex
> > > documents.
> > > even if there is one good use i assure you some bright spot
> > > down the line will figure out a way to conditionally build
> > > algebra documents based on half-a-thousand switches. and
> > > if something gets skipped it is hard to recognize that
> > > something  that "should" be there isn't.
> >
> > OK.  But that still leaves us with the problem of how to
> > handle necessary options for pdf vs. dvi.  TeTeX 3.0 and up
> > seem to insist on making a pdf if the options to hyperref
> > include pdf specific options, which is why I had to use the
> > ifthen package for hyperref.
>
> can you give me an example to play with?

The axiomunits tex file will demonstrate this behavior, given the
proper version of tetex - just uncomment the command that sets makepdf
to true and run latex axiomunits_v2.tex to get a pdf.  All that does is
select for the hyperref command with pdf specific options, and that's
enough to trigger pdf output.  At least, that's the behavior I'm
seeing.  I've seen other comments in the Gentoo forums, so I'm not the
only one caught by surprise on this one.

> i've never seen latex output a pdf. always a dvi.
> this must be new behavior.

I believe it is.  This thread is another instance of someone seeing
this behavior:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345681-highlight-dvi+pdf+latex.html

I have tested this, and the new behavior seems to be to produce pdf
only if any of the options in the document are pdf specific.

Cheers,
CY

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/