RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: article "standard" header/footer

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: article "standard" header/footer
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:00:30 -0500

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345681-highlight-dvi+pdf+latex.html

> I have tested this, and the new behavior seems to be to produce pdf
> only if any of the options in the document are pdf specific.

It seems to me that you must be using 'pdfeTeX' which is a
variant of the standard tetex distributed with most linux
systems.

We have this version installed on the axiom-developer.org
server:

% latex -v
pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)

-------

'pdfeTeX' will generate both dvi and pdf output.

I tried this in a few cases to generate pdf output for the
MathAction implementation of pamphlets but in the end I opted
to use the more conventional approach of 'dvipdfm' which
generates the pdf file from the dvi file. Like this:

  *.tex ----> Latex ----> *.dvi ---> dvipdfm ----> *.pdf

As long as you specific the 'dvipdfm' option as a hyperref
parameter, then this seems to produce good results with
hyperlinks and other hyperref extensions. You can see a few
examples of this in the Axiom source files on MathAction.