RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:21:18 -0800 (PST)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> All web browsers (with HTML documents) and Acrobat (Adobe
> version) support this.

OK, I'll look at the hyperref docs for the proper incantations, if
they're in there.

> > We're going to run into trouble here, I think.  So far, if I
> > supply pdf specific options to hyperref in tetex 3.0+, it's
> > going to perforce compile with pdfetex instead of latex.
>
> No this does not happen to me. MathAction uses pdfeTeX
> 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 to generate the dvi for the file above.

OK.  What TeX distribution are you using?  tetex?  I'll have to check
my version of pdfeTeX at home.

> Then it used dvipdfm to create the pdf file. This is done
> internally for each pamphlet file on the Axiom wiki.
>
> > This is intended behavior apparently, since according to
> > what I have read pdfetex can usually generate better pdf
> > documents than a ps->pdf or dvi->pdf conversion can.
>
> So far that is not my experience.

Maybe it's a tetex/gentoo specific thing...  Other gentoo folk have had
this happen.  Maybe those specific options don't trigger it - I'd have
to try and see.

> "Version 0.12 provides native MetaPost output support and
> some native PostScript support (no, PSTricks doesn't work).
> Version 0.12 allows transparent PS/EPS file inclusion with
> help from an auxiliary program such as GhostScript. Version
> 0.12 enhances DVI compatibility by implementing various
> standard specials for color, papersize, etc. Some simple
> embedded PostScript code (ps: specials) can also be processed."
>
> :(

Darn it.

> At the pstricks website:
>
> http://www.tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=pdf/pdfoutput
>
> "The PSTricks macros cannot be used with pdf(La)TeX, because
> PSTricks uses PostScript arithmetic, which isn't part of
> PDF. There are several more or less good possibilities to
> get a PDF output from PostScript."

Darn it.

> They seem to recommend using:
>
> dvips <file>.dvi
> ps2pdf <file>.ps
>
> instead of 'dvipdfm'. We can do this.

I thought dvips either messed up hyperlinking or resulted in those
horrible boxes around linked text - has this changed now?  Postscript,
as far as I know, does not support hyperlinking - that is (or was
anyway) one of the advantages of using pdflatex in the first place.

<idle thought> I wonder how much of the functionality of PStricks could
be implemented on top of xypic?

Cheers,
Cliff