RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 06:10:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> At
>
> http://www.tug.org/applications/hyperref/manual.html
>
> it says we need to specify the 'dvips' option on the hyperref
> package, so I edited my version
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/Endpaper2
>
> of Tim's endpaper.pamphlet with hyperlinks to include:
>
> \usepackage[dvips,final,colorlinks=true,pdfstartview=FitH]{hyperref}
>
> and clicked 'Save' to create a new 'dvi' file.

Huh.  That's good to know - I guess I've always focused on the pdflatex
side of hyperref.  I'd better stop assuming things.

[snip]

> Now the 'pdf' link on the above mentioned Axiom Wiki page
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/images/book--main--1/endpaper2.pdf
>
> displays the file with both lines between the boxes and
> active hyperlinks!

WOW!  Very impressive!  You have a good instinct for this Bill - I'd
probably have fussed with pdflatex stuff for another week.

> I also changed the href in the top node to point to the url
> for catdef.spad.pdf on the wiki and sure enough clicking
> the link opens that file! If we include links like this in
> the file, it seems that as a minimum we will have to provide
> *both* .pdf and .dvi links.

Hmm.  Or better still, we need to provide a conditional somewhere that
will link to the dvi in dvi files and the pdf in pdf files.  There is
probably some way to do this, althought it will probably involve
"conditional latex" - IIRC for the graphics command I used in
maximabook it could be intelligent about including pdf/png vs.
postscript based on output.

> The table of contents hyperlinks all work and no ugly boxes
> around hyperlinks ... I think that's actually controlled by
> the hyperref option 'colorlinks=true'.

Huh!  Well, live and learn.  I wonder why I never found that when I was
working with that cteq manual...

> Could you please also check whether the lines and hyperlinks
> still appear properly on this revised 'dvi' file:
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/images/book--main--1/endpaper2.dvi
>
> and let me know how it looks? Thanks.

I'll have to check at home - my work machine has no dvi viewer.

> If everything still works I think I will change the pamphlet
> processing sequence as follows:
>
> weave (tex) --> latex (dvi) --> dvips (ps) --> ps2pdf (pdf)
>                                            --> gzip (gz)
>
> and then provide the links on the pamphlet thumbnail page:
>
>   Download: pdf dvi ps gz src tex log
>
> Is compressed (gzipped) postscript still sufficiently popular?

I expect for slow internet connections it might be.  VERY impressive
result Bill!

Cheers,
Cliff