[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom uses unmodified GCL on Debian?

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom uses unmodified GCL on Debian?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:33:01 -0500

well, the build is proceeding and appears to be progressing ok.
of course i have no idea WHY it works since there are no comments
in the patch file. i'll test the graphics and hyperdoc in the morning.

so code appears in debian
with changes that are not in the master source tree
and is distributed under the name 'axiom'
and you don't consider that a fork....

but patching the original source files of gcl and noweb
to build axiom (but not a gcl or noweb distro)
is considered a fork?

methinks you're being a bit harsh. forking is not intended
in either case and i'd never claim camm is trying to fork
axiom. we've had close cooperation over many years he's
remotely logged onto my main laptop to debug the original
SELinux failure and we worked together to corner an issue
of semantics that was killing the axiom compiler. i have
the greatest respect for him and wouldn't consider forking
gcl under any circumstances.

the fact that debian changes are not integrated into the
axiom source tree is likely due to miscommunication and
lack of time or lack of understanding, not malicious intent.
this needs to be fixed, though, as the debian version should
be buildable from the master sources. i was under the impression
that they were.

sending (or resending) patch files that fix the differences
is usually sufficient.

if you'll push the noweb changes all the way thru the build
process and send patch files i'll 'fix' that also.