[Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom uses unmodified GCL on Debian?

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom uses unmodified GCL on Debian?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:13:13 -0500

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:05 AM Tim Daly (root) wrote:

> [...]

That seems unlikely to me, but I guess we need Camm's input on
this. I know that sman, clef, graphics and hyperdoc all work on
Debian. The socket code is added (compiler:link) to gcl in the
following makefile stanza:

+       echo '(compiler::link nil "${OUT}/lisp" (format nil "(progn (let
((*load-path* (cons ~S *load-path*))(si::*load-types* ~S))
(compiler::emit-fn t))(when (fboundp (quote si::sgc-on)) (si::sgc-on
t))#-native-reloc(setq compiler::*default-system-p* t))"
si::*system-directory* (quote (list #+native-reloc".o" ".lsp")))
"${OBJ}/${SYS}/lib/cfuns-c.o ${OBJ}/${SYS}/lib/sockio-c.o
${OBJ}/${SYS}/lib/libspad.a")' | gcl

It is exactly the same code that is used in the non-Debian
distribution.

What do you mean by "sman wont start"? What error message do
you get? sman is written entirely in "C" right? That should be
directly portable to Debian.

> also, how do we handle the fact that users can build gcl
> using the -ansi switch. that means that their local copy
> of gcl cannot be used by axiom (yet).

The Debian prerequiste for Axiom is the non-ansi version of
gcl. If the non-ansi version is not installed on the system
then 'apt-get install axiom' will also install it.