[Axiom-developer] Re: This sentence is not a Lie

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: This sentence is not a Lie
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:08:37 -0800 (PST)

--- Jay Belanger <address@hidden> wrote:

> C Y <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > Sorry if we're not pulling our weight Tim
>
> Was the original post a comment about people not pulling their
> weight?

Not really.  I read it (just my interpretation) as Tim being frustrated
with so many opinions without accompanying code, and I'm certainly
guilty of that.  So that was me acknowledging that, rather than a
response directly to his original email.  Like when your teacher
rebukes the whole class generally but you know you've been doing
whatever it is everyone's getting rebuked for ;-).

> I didn't think so, but regardless, I need to do something.
> I can now start on EAxiom for Cliff.

Wooooo hooooooo!

> Also, I seem to recall seeing a package to do Lie symmetry
> analysis of PDEs in Axiom, but I can't come across it again.
> (Googling "Axiom" and anything mathematical doesn't always
> give results about the CAS.) What, if anything, is out there?

Maybe you are thinking of JET?
http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/groups/compalg/seiler/Papers/HTML/Axiom.html
 If so, good news - the author of the JET environment recently gave me
permission to release an older version of his code he was able to
locate!  I have it on my home machine but with one thing and another I
haven't gotten it online yet (I need to attach copyright and license
info).  It's not documented unfortunately, and I don't know about the
copyright on his paper or whether he would be willing to have us use it
if he does still have it, but reading the paper and proceeding from
there with the code is probably a lot better than starting from
scratch!

I'll try and get that code uploaded tomorrow, maybe on the Axiom wiki
if I can find a good place.  This code isn't any kind of pamphlet file
and I have no documentation to turn it into one, but it's a start.

Probably also worth following up on is subsequent work the author did
in Mupad on this subject - apparently quite a lot of progress was made.

Cheers,
Cliff