[Axiom-developer] Re: noweb "bug"

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: noweb "bug"
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 01:25:18 +0100

most of the steps would be:
 (1) PUSH THE CHANGE
   check out a fresh system
   build a pre-change copy of the system (call it old)
   build a second copy of the system (call it new)
   in new:
     add the awk script to etc/scripts
     update CHANGELOG
     update the etc/scripts/Makefile.pamphlet to document how it works
     update CHANGELOG
     autogen the script into the proper mnt/linux/bin subdirectory
     modify the document command to use the script
     update CHANGELOG
for every Makefile.pamphlet in the source tree check every use of "document"
       check every use of "notangle"
     erase all zips/noweb*
     update CHANGELOG
     build a post-change copy of the system
 (2) CHECK THE CHANGE
   diff -r --brief old new
   for each difference
     verify that the difference is correct
     diff -Naur oldfile newfile >dir.dir.oldfile.patch
 (3) EXPOSE THE CHANGE
   mail off the patches

this is essentially a subset of the process i go thru for EVERY
change to the system. (additional tests are done such as doing
a "round-trip" build where i upload the sources, erase all local
copies, download and build the sources and recheck the changes
so i know the uploaded version works).

Thank you Tim. With a bit more detail that should go to the developer's guide. There are certainly many more of such procedures in the development process that are not yet documented. I guess, there will be lots of questions from me in order to be able to fill the developer's guide with some useful contents.

i might suggest that this is a good exercise for you to try
so you get familiar with making changes. and if you try to
do this it would be worthwhile documenting it in volume 4
(the developers guide).

That is exactly my goal.

it's hard for me to write the steps
because i do it every day and don't know what others would
consider obscure and in need of explanation.

Well, I am not yet completely sure, but I somehow have the feeling that I would suggest another development cycle (no patches via email but via branches), but I first have to understand that myself. So that may take some time.

Ralf