[Axiom-developer] RE: doyen and virtual appliance

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: doyen and virtual appliance
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:51:26 -0500

Tim,

On February 28, 2006 1:20 PM you wrote:
> So Doyen would be a virtual machine focused on adding and
> integrating scientific software into a single purpose platform.
> A hyper-packaging concept. Instead of installing a dozen tools
> to get a local axiom wiki working you just copy the VM image.

Ok, I get it. But of course VMware is not open source, right?
And you have to be running VMware first before this is possible.
But I suppose supporting an Axiom/Doyen VMware application is
not that different than supporting a Windows version of Axiom...

And who is going to laugh at $200,000? :)

Note that there is an open source alternative to VMware for linux
applications called Xen:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/index.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xen
http://www.xensource.com