[Axiom-developer] RE: GNU Arch - was patches

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: GNU Arch - was patches
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:50:39 +1000

Hi Ralf.

> what do you want to say by your comment?

I want to say that tla/GNU arch is not at all looking good as a source
control system (it's problematic on Windows and looks like it is barely
alive as an on-going project) and I would suggest dropping it as a tool
for the Axiom project.

I am perturbed by the splitting of the Axiom effort into separate Arch
source trees/sub-projects which seem not to be able to remerge (due
apparently to lack of developer time and/or interest) and which are
presumably becoming more divergent from the core CVS source repository
due to ongoing bitrot.

I realise that you were writing with respect to a more specific issue,
but your recommendation prompted me to write in respect of the more
general issue of the Axiom source code control system.

For that reason I changed the topic of the thread.

I further say that the multiplicity of unresolved source control systems
and sub-projects in the Axiom project is just one sign of what is
looking more and more like an overgrown and somewhat choked garden to
me.

I'm actually rather a fan of overgrown gardens, but I do like to feel
that I can walk through them to get at the flowers without falling into
a well.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.