RE: [Axiom-developer] Developers and Axiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Developers and Axiom
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:59:33 -0400

Ralf,

On April 11, 2006 6:35 AM you wrote:
> Bill, could you tell me how to move pages from one category
> to another? It's not completely clear to me.

Use the 'rename' and 'reparent' options at the bottom of each
Axiom Wiki page.

> I somehow would like to see a more organised "Site Map". For
> my taste it should more look like the "table of contents" in
> a book. And perhaps some day we really can make a book out of
> the wiki by just pressing a button "Print".

Good idea.

> I am not saying that I will do some reorganisation of the pages
> immediately, but I'd like to know how I could proceeed when I
> find some time and feel like that.

PLEASE do spend some time thinking about the re-organization.
I would really like you to do this.

> See, that is what I once meant. People are just too kind. I
> am like Jay  in some sense. I hesitate to add or modify other
> peoples comments. But that is also bad, because pages become
> longer and longer by that and in this way unreadable or even
> useless. We need some more people who take the courage to edit
> pages.

Yes! This is very true. We should assume that pages on the Axiom
Wiki are "shared public property". They no longer "belong" to the
author as such. Of course one can still use common courtesys in
communicating with the known authors but other than that EVERYONE
is free to modify and improve them as they see fit... The more
the better.

> So maybe we should create a page or a section "Editing Rules for
> Wiki Pages" on http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/CreatingNewPages
> that says something like
>
>    If you add text to a wiki and you don't add your name then
>    you agree that anyone can modify your text so that it looks
>    better or better conveys the information.

Yes, please add this.

> Actually, that should be clear anyway...
>
> In fact, I even think that there should no names on a wiki
> page at all. They all are written by "the axiom community".
> One cannot get credit for it.

I think anyone who spends time improving the site will in fact
"get credit" from the rest of the Axiom community. But of course
this is not formal credit in the sense most applicable to personal
promotion etc.