RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:15:51 -0400

On Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:44 PM Jay Belanger wrote:

> >> Thanks!
> >
> > I tested it and it seems ok to me now. Perhaps some of the other
> > developers who have downloaded the SVN silver version should test
> > this. An 'svn update' should be sufficient. Then Axiom should
> > build from this archive.
>
> Have you actually built it, or just downloaded it?

I downloaded it and checked that I could successfully decompress
and untar the binary files. I did not attempt to build Axiom.

> When I try to build it, I get a series of errors of the form:
>
>   cp: cannot create regular file
> `/usr/local/belanger/axiom/silver/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/prop-
> base/axiom.sty.svn-base': Permission denied

This error is exceedingly odd. It does not make sense that
that the Axiom build would be trying to create files in a
directory with the name '.svn' since that is a directory owned
by SVN.

>   cp: cannot create regular file
> `/usr/local/belanger/axiom/silver/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/forma
> t': Permission denied
>   cp: cannot create regular file
> `/usr/local/belanger/axiom/silver/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/text-
> base/axiom.sty.svn-base': Permission denied
>   cp: cannot create regular file
> `/usr/local/belanger/axiom/silver/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/READM
> E.txt': Permission denied
>
> I assume that when some recursive copy in the Makefile is called,
> it tries to write over some subversion files (which of course don't
> have permissions which allow that).  Am I the only one with this
> problem?

I can try the build myself later today but I can not imagine
what would cause the Axiom build process to do that. Are you
sure you set the AXIOM variable properly? Can you provide more
information about this failure?

The directories being with '...mnt/linux/...' are created
during the Axiom build and should not be present in the SVN
archive and so should not contain a '.svn' subdirectory.
I am not sure what is going on.