Re: [Axiom-developer] backups

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:24:45 -0400

We do need a mirror site because all of our information is in one place.
This was brought home clearly by a hardware failure which, fortunately,
was not a disaster.

I've contracted for nightly backups of the system so a single failure
can be recovered. But it's time for us to start protecting the assets
against many possible failures. I've neglected this issue too long.

The fact that the backup site will require hand maintenance to keep
in sync is actually a feature. My experience with fully automated
systems is that they get neglected and some minor error (eg a disk
fills up) causes them to become worthless rather quickly. Systems
that get used a lot tend to live. Those that don't die of code rot.

Bill can also, if he so desires, make the RISC site a darcs repository.
That way we can have virtually every non-microsoft source code tool
in use and people can decide which one they like best.

Besides the backup nature of the site I'm hoping that students at
RISC will take an interest in Axiom. We would then have the ability
to work with them locally and support their efforts. In the long term
I think the association is at least as important as the backup/mirror,
if not more so.