Re: [Axiom-developer] backups

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:04:03 +0200

Besides the backup nature of the site I'm hoping that students at
RISC will take an interest in Axiom. We would then have the ability
to work with them locally and support their efforts. In the long term
I think the association is at least as important as the backup/mirror,
if not more so.

I hope that is successful!

Me, too. ;-)

But it needs more than just running a mirror of the Axiom site at a RISC server. I am constantly trying to show the potential of Axiom/Aldor, but it is not so easy since there are still lots of bugs hidden and the main goal of students here is to get their PhD and not to fix bugs. They want to and should invent and implement new algorithms.

But you cannot expect someone to implement something in a not-so-robust system which doesn't let you track bugs easily. I am not only speaking of Axiom, but there is definitely need for a better user interface. Although I am not yet a big fan of Texmacs, because it is yet another language (besides LaTeX) to learn, I somehow think that it should become a more integrated into axiom and become the default userinterface.

BTW, if we could find money (sponsors) to finance a PhD student at RISC
who works for half a day on Axiom, I guess that the RISC faculty would love that. (OK, that was just a thought...)

It is currently not the case that everyone wants to jump on Axiom. All Axiom developers have to work hard to make other people more aware that Axiom is progressing. Yes, it is not just coding, we also need advertising Axiom. Does anyone know, how we could do this? Maybe a "job offer" to become an unpaid Axiom developer? Sorry, it should read:

   ... to become a pioneer in the development of a next generation
   computer algebra and theorem proving system.

Ralf