User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups)

From: David MENTRE
Subject: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:35:52 +0200

Hello,

2006/4/13, Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden>:
> But you cannot expect someone to implement something in a not-so-robust
> system which doesn't let you track bugs easily.

In a short summary, what would you like to have?

> I am not only speaking of Axiom, but there is definitely need for a better
> user interface.

I agree, even if the current text interface is not that bad. Do not
forget that somebody is working on a web interface (with Tim?).

> Although I am not yet a big fan of Texmacs, because it is yet another
> language (besides LaTeX) to learn, I somehow think that it should become
> a more integrated into axiom and become the default userinterface.

I like TeXmacs *but* it has some big issues for me, one of the biggest
being it is quite slow (the interface is not snappy enough). And Joris
is focusing developments of other aspects (graphics mode) rather than
fixing those issues. The development API is not very well documented
neither.

Best wishes,
d.