Re: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backup

From: Antoine Hersen
Subject: Re: User interface, TeXmacs and Axiom (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] backups)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:40:35 -0700

Hello Pierre

Antoine, I very much agree with you... until you start saying that
Emacs might do the trick ;-)

I am using emacs day and night lately , I might be biased ..

Emacs is indeed very portable, very powerful, but also extremely scary
at first sight, in particular if you're not used to coding. Although
it is not impossible to master it, it requires a lot of implication
from the end user, which is not a good thing.

Not true ...
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/060302.html

I think if we use CUA( cut and paste like windows)
Hide everything scary, create menu and toolbox. Therefore dumbing down emacs, write clear install direction maybe it will be manageable for "normal" people ?

I would rather use eclipse which, from a certain point of view, is
"emacs 30 years later" : the "interface for everything and nothing in
particular" approach, plus a certain degree of "cleanliness".
It may not be the sexiest of environments, but one can easily build a
very powerful user interface without coding the whole thing from
scratch.

That is an excellent possibility I overlook.
It is a strong choice, I dont think emacs will dye anytime soon but Eclispe has surely a larger user base, strong corporate support and a modern look and feel.

Some issue :

Interactive ability ?
we should look to Python and co plug-in to see what they do.

Displaying math ? Is there some work done there ?
I guess using latex back-end to generate png might be an option.

Managing noweb and latex, how much work will it be ?

Do yo want to investigate Pierre ?

In general how many people able to work on the project have good java skill ?
How many for elisp ?
I am sure we will be able to get other CAS interested to such a project.

I know by experience that Pierre is quite skilled in Java :)

Regards,

Antoine Hersen