Re: [Axiom-developer] size issue with noweb

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] size issue with noweb
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 04:29:59 -0400

the idea is that we could eliminate noweave as a function
by using latex markup to specify the syntax. that eliminates
one half of the noweb functionality. this also has the feature
that pamphlets are simply latex documents with a special style
file and can be processed without noweb.

the [[ ]] syntax would need an "inline verbatim" kind of quoting
similar to what happens now (since [[]] gets replaced by latex code.
so
  a sentence with [[quote me]]
becomes
  a sentence with \iquote{quote me}

the notangle step is just a preprocessor step and can accept any
syntax. we could even unify this approach with Bill's
\axiom and \reduce processing.

i could write a lisp program to do the notangle step and
i believe it could be made MUCH faster.

unfortunately i cannot send you my current program as it is not
(yet?) open source. i'd have to get permission from work.

my best guess about the processing costs is the byte-by-byte
pipelining in noweb. my program is written in common lisp and
used to also do read-char (byte at a time). now i do a read-sequence
and reduced the i/o costs below measurable values. noweb uses a lot
of awk-sed processing rather than a single C program and i think the
process does not scale.