Re: [Axiom-developer] size issue with noweb

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] size issue with noweb
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:29:19 +0200

Tim,

2006/4/21, root <address@hidden>:
> the idea is that we could eliminate noweave as a function
> by using latex markup to specify the syntax. that eliminates
> one half of the noweb functionality.

I think this is a good idea.

Another point that worries me: for numbering of the code chunks and
their cross-indexing, noweb uses a lot of LaTeX machinery. I don't
know which part is comming from noweb.sty (which could be re-used
as-is) and which parts is generated by noweave.

> the [[ ]] syntax would need an "inline verbatim" kind of quoting
> similar to what happens now (since [[]] gets replaced by latex code.
> so
>   a sentence with [[quote me]]
> becomes
>   a sentence with \iquote{quote me}

ok. Writting the program doing this transformation might be a bit
tricky (the "[[[a][i]]]" case).

> unfortunately i cannot send you my current program as it is not
> (yet?) open source. i'd have to get permission from work.

If I find time, I'll try to make an obfuscation tool that keep the
noweb structure but replace content with meaningless one.

> my best guess about the processing costs is the byte-by-byte
> pipelining in noweb. my program is written in common lisp and
> used to also do read-char (byte at a time). now i do a read-sequence
> and reduced the i/o costs below measurable values. noweb uses a lot
> of awk-sed processing rather than a single C program and i think the
> process does not scale.

Using OProfile on a linux system would let you know exactly where the
time is spent. Of course, while not difficult, it takes a little time
to set up and doing the experiments. DTrace on a Solaris system would
also give useful info (if not better), however I've never used it. I
think DTrace has been recently ported to Linux.

In practical terms, beside just comments, do you need help on the
code? I could give a try to a notangle in Common Lisp but you would be
probably much more efficient than me (and the code would probably be
cleaner :-) . However, I could try to write a noweb->new-latex-syntax
filter in Python. What do you think of it?

Best wishes,
d.