Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:52:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Cliff,
>
> thanks for your work on axiommode.el, but I really really wonder, why
> that is not a pamphlet file. Or is it and I just don't know?

Sort of.  Sorry, I should have been clearer.  The pamphlet version is
here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxAxiomEmacsMode

and should work fine on Linux.  But that version (e.g., the one
generated directly from that pamphlet) will not run on Windows for two,
possibly three reasons:

1.  The "axiom" command used on Linux is not the one that works on
Windows - I needed C:/Program Files/axiom/mnt/window/AxiomSYS.exe or
something like that.

2.  I took out the -noht and -noclef options.  I might not have had to
do that - this is the one I'm not sure about - but they don't seem to
be needed here.

3.  The code I use to clean up the double (1) -> prompt on Linux causes
a hang on Windows, because the version of Axiom in the Windows binary
doesn't produce the double (1) ->.  So I had to comment that out.  I
might be able to conditionalize it for Window vs. Linux if Emacs can
tell me where I'm running, but that's a temporary measure at best.  I'm
not quite sure how to handle it - does anyone know why the Linux
version produces that initial double prompt?  If that could go away
things would be simpler.

> Always think of those poor guys who come after you and had to modify
> your stuff.

I pity them either way ;-).  But there does exist a pamphlet version,
which is the "main" version and the one where all future work will take
place.  This is partially to preserve the changes it took to make it
work on Windows, partially to announce that it CAN work on Windows at
all, and partially taking pity on those stuck with a DOS window ;-).
It may be that the other mode on AxiomonEmacs (axiom-smallest or some
such) works and works better for now, but since this one has been
demonstrated to work (on WinXP anyway) I wanted to let folks know.

I think this mode will have to stay in the Sandbox for quite a while -
there are many changes and features to come before it can claim to be a
really serious asset to users or developers.

Cheers,
CY