Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Literate programming

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Literate programming
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 21:41:54 -0700

I'm just now starting to do "literate programming", so I haven't had a
chance to run into any performance bottlenecks in "noweb" yet. My
approach has been to use TeXmacs or LyX to edit "literate programs."
While both have native formats, both also can read and write files in
TeX. TeXmacs can also import Axiom (and R and Maxima) sessions directly
-- you can use TeXmacs like you would use Emacs.

The R folks are also committed to literate programming and the concept
of an executable document. They call this a compendium, a rather
unfortunate choice of words to me because there is a "dialogue mapping"
tool of the same name. Some links are

http://www.bepress.com/bioconductor/paper2

and

http://www.bepress.com/bioconductor/paper3/

So ... just how does one "get started" doing literate programming in
Axiom? Suppose, for example, I am working on a queuing theory model and
want to mix equations, data, graphs, etc. in a paper? Curiously enough,
LyX interfaces directly to noweb but not to Axiom and TeXmacs interfaces
directly to Axiom but not to noweb. :)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com