RE: [Axiom-developer] sbcl and Axiom

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] sbcl and Axiom
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:38:04 -0400

On Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:20 PM C Y asked:

> Question.  I've managed so far to get the boottocl command
> more or less working (e.g. most of the boot dir code).

Good work!

> It occurrs to me that this might be a waste of time,
> particularly if the interp directory code contains all of
> the functionality in boot aside from translating boot code
> to cl.  I think this is the case but before I throw out my
> current work - is the boot directory in fact entirely
> redundant functionality wise?

Gee, what could have given you that idea??

No the boot directory is not redundant.

Yes you need to compile boot first before you can compile
anything from interp.

No the interp directory code does not contain all of the
functionality of boot (nor any of the functionality of boot
for that matter).

No what you have been doing so far is not a waste of time.
However, I think you should be using the make process as
defined in the current Axiom makefiles first before trying
to change things in a radical manner.