Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants
Date: 27 Jul 2006 20:59:07 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > I agree that this is nothing "fancy". Actually, reflection is
| > not really such a "fancy" concept at all, its just that we have
| > got used to not having access to this sort of information in
| > non lisp-based programming without first-order types.
|
| Right, I am not used to reflection. Is there a collection of nice
| examples where reflection is a "must have"?

It is hard to argue for "must have", because the only thing we need is
a binary file editor :-)

However, the way I see reflection uses in my own work is not too far
from the examples discussed in the papers

  *  Unrolling and Simplifying Expressions with Template Haskell, by
     Ian Lynagh, May 2003.

  *  Automatic skeletons in Template Haskell, by Kevin Hammond, Jost
     Berthold and Rita Loogen, June 2003.

  *  Optimising Embedded DSLs using Template Haskell, by Sean
     Seefried, Manuel Chakravarty, Gabriele Keller, March 2004.

at

   http://www.haskell.org/th/#papers

Jacques Carette also has excellent discussions in connection with
Gaussian elimination.