Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:59:35 +0200

| Right, I am not used to reflection. Is there a collection of nice
| examples where reflection is a "must have"?

It is hard to argue for "must have", because the only thing we need is
a binary file editor :-)

However, the way I see reflection uses in my own work is not too far
from the examples discussed in the papers

  *  Unrolling and Simplifying Expressions with Template Haskell, by
     Ian Lynagh, May 2003.

  *  Automatic skeletons in Template Haskell, by Kevin Hammond, Jost
     Berthold and Rita Loogen, June 2003.

  *  Optimising Embedded DSLs using Template Haskell, by Sean
     Seefried, Manuel Chakravarty, Gabriele Keller, March 2004.

Would it be possible to give a few lines of explanation. What interests me most is: what would I gain if I had reflections in Aldor? Would that make my programming easier/more convenient. Or would it add more power to Aldor? I have not yet read those papers, but to me it looks very much like reflections are useful for optimizing code that I have written.

A simple short overview of the situation is very much appreciated.

Ralf