[Axiom-developer] Axiom build failure on an x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom build failure on an x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Date: 31 Jul 2006 03:12:34 +0200

Hi,

I got a new machine (64-bit) for work

address@hidden:~/build> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      :               Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2793.182
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5592.20
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 128
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      :               Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2793.182
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5586.19
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 128
power management:

and I've been trying to set up Axiom on it.  It is running SuSE 10.1
So far, I've been unsuccessful to build Axiom.  The failure is at

[...]
1 linking /home/gdr/build/axiom.2006-07-30/build/mnt/linux/lib/viewman
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so when searching for
-lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a when searching for
-lX11
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [/home/gdr/build/axiom.2006-07-30/build/mnt/linux/lib/viewman]
Error 1

The root of the problem is that (I suspect) Axiom has hardcoded the
path to libX11, e.g. /usr/X11R6/lib.  In fact, on a 64-bit system, it
is better to let configure find the good path (people have already
solved this kind of problem, we don't need to go through it again).
The path should be /usr/X11R6/lib64.