Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request

From: Ben Collins-Sussman
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:46:02 -0500

On 10/3/06, Page, Bill <address@hidden> wrote:

I left the auth and the /svn.* directories in place (empty)
since the file dates indicated they had been created about
the time I first installed and used svn. I hopt that this
"surgery" was the right thing to do.

Yes, you did the right thing.  Client authentication caching is
discussed in chapter 6 of the svnbook.  You can just 'rm -rf
~/.subversion/auth/svn.simple/*' anytime you want to clear the cache.

address@hidden page]$ svnsync init
https://axiom.googlecode.com/svn file
:///home/page/axiom-sf
Error validating server certificate for
'https://axiom.googlecode.com:443':
 - The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
   fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
Certificate information:
 - Hostname: *.googlecode.com
 - Valid: from Jun 23 16:05:41 2006 GMT until Jun 21 11:45:36 2008 GMT
 - Issuer: Certification Services Division, Thawte Consulting cc, Cape
Town, Western Cape, ZA
 - Fingerprint:
89:87:5e:ca:0b:03:d2:83:db:7b:3f:20:5d:d0:76:c7:76:6b:cb:b2
(R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently? p
svnsync: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
svnsync: PROPFIND of '/svn': Could not read status line: Secure
connection truncated (https://axiom.googlecode.com)

Hm, that actually looks like a server crash!  I'll investigate.

However, I do see a problem:  it's a bug in my function to reset the
repository.  While it removes all revisions back to revision 0, it
doesn't actually remove the old rev-props attached to revision 0!
Witness all the svn:svnsync* revision properties left behind by your
last attempt to run svnsync:

$ svn proplist --verbose --revprop -r0 http://axiom.googlecode.com/svn
Unversioned properties on revision 0:
 svn:sync-from-uuid : 54bea96e-1511-0410-8851-aaeae44645fa
 svn:sync-currently-copying : 3
 svn:sync-last-merged-rev : 2
 svn:date : 2006-04-10T15:40:55.446251Z
 svn:sync-from-url : file:///home/page/axiom-sf

I've worked around the problem by manually running 'svn propdel' to
delete each of these, so now your r0 is all clear of metadata.  (And
I'll get to fixing the reset() bug too.)

I suspect the problems may have come from svnsync just dying when it
was running into its own obsolete/stale revision-props from previous
runs.  Try doing the 'svnsync init' again, and see if it works.

I really do not understand why I am having so much trouble
with subversion. :-( I do feel like I am making a very serious
effort to try to make it work but getting nowhere.

Have patience!  You're on the bleeding edge here, literally.  :-)

While subversion itself is old and stable, svnsync is a brand new
tool, *just* released a couple of weeks ago.  And googlecode is a
brand new subversion service running a newly written
repository-backend implementation.  I was able to use svnsync to push
my own project's history up to googlecode, and therefore you should be
able to as well.  However, bleeding edge is still bleeding edge... as
you can see, we're discovering little snags and buglets here and
there.  Thanks for being such a great tester!