Re: [Axiom-developer] rule for making NRLIBs

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] rule for making NRLIBs
Date: 07 Oct 2006 20:46:17 +0200

Vanuxem Grégory <address@hidden> writes:

| Le samedi 07 octobre 2006 à 05:41 +0200, Waldek Hebisch a écrit :
| > The current rule in src/algebra/Makefile.pamphlet does not work
| > during re-make. Namely, SPAD compiler fails when NRLIB directory
| > already exists. I propose to add the following:
| >
| > --- pp/build-improvements/src/algebra/Makefile.pamphlet     2006-09-29
21:09:42.000000000 +0200
| > +++ build-improvements.nn5/src/algebra/Makefile.pamphlet    2006-10-07
05:32:35.000000000 +0200
| > @@ -1631,6 +1631,7 @@
| >  .PRECIOUS: ${MID}/%.NRLIB/code.o
| >  ${MID}/%.NRLIB/code.o: ${MID}/%.spad
| >     @ echo compiling $*.spad to $*.NRLIB
| > +   rm -rf ${MID}/$*.NRLIB
| >     @ (cd ${MID} ; \
| >        if [ -z "${NOISE}" ] ; then \
| >         echo ")co $*.spad" | ${INTERPSYS}  ; \
| >
| > One could also modify SPAD compiler to remove existing NRLIB,
|
| I think it's the same bug than the bug #302 . See the thread
| "Cannot Rename The File Erlib To NRLIB"  in Axiom-developer mail
| Archives.

I don't know whether they are the same bug -- they might have similar
symptoms though.

Definitely I believe the Makefile should clean up the directory.

There are various places in the Makefiles with questionable rules,
whereby when the build is stopped (for whatever reason) and after
afterwards resumed it changes the environment in ways that would not
happen "normally".

I don't believe the checked patch fixes bug #302 because I don't think
they are the same bug.  Even when bug #302 is fixed (within
GCL/Axiom), I do believe the additional Makefile rule should be there.