Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and more-rules.mk

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and more-rules.mk
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 03:37:31 +0200 (CEST)

> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
>
> | Currently rules are appended to more-rules.mk. When make is re-run
> | all more-rules.mk gets duplicated. I think that we should just
> | replace content of more-rules.mk:
>
> The whole thing should be revisited.  That is on my TODO list.
> the more-rules.mk was a quick hack to stop generating Makefiles at
> build-time.

I agree that algebra bootstrap should be revisited.  But IMHO the main
work to do is outside Makefiles: I think that algebra should build
just from spad files using Spad compiler and almost empty databases.
Such bootstrap will require a few stages and work in very sequential
way.  Once algebra is bootstraped we would like to do minimal
recompilation after changes. However, dependencies between algebra
files are complex and cyclic, so ATM it is impossible to use
make to handle them.

Concerning bootstrap: one can replace browse.daase and operations.daase
by "empty" databases and bootstrap still works fine. I was able to
build large part of algebra (including most of the files which ATM
are build from Lisp) using only Spad sources, "empty" category.daase
and minimal interp.daase, but I had to set $bootStrapMode flag and build
everthing in a single invocation of the compiler.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden