RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:47:43 -0400

On October 21, 2006 2:46 PM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> > ... One of the advantages of the patch that Tim made
> > to noweb was that (usually) one does not need to make the
> > distinction between a noweb format file and a pure latex
> > format file because the default handling of undefined chunk
> > names is less disruptive.
>
> That has nothing to do with the issue that src/doc/Rosetta.pamphlet
> does not contain any code chunk nor any unescaped << (in Gold,
> Silver or build-improvements).

Look at line 273

\Axiom       & set [1, 2] & [1, 2]    & matrix([[1, 2],[3, 4]])

and many lines after that.

When these lines are processed by the unpatched noweb program the
[[...]] sections are expanded as noweb "quotes", but when processed
by Tim's patched version of noweb this does not happen.

> Rosetta.pamphlet is a full latex file with \documentclass,
> \begin{document} ... \end{document}. If you do
>
> noweave Rosetta.pamphlet > Rosetta.tex
>
> then noweave adds some commands that are defined in noweb.sty
> (no matter whether you add switches like -n or -delay). Since
> Rosetta.pamphlet does not have any \usepackage in it, latex
> cannot succeed.

Actually noweave is usually called with the option -delay like
this

  noweave -delay Rosetta.pamphlet > Rosetta.tex

In that case the only noweb-ism that is added occurs after the
\end{document} and has no affect on the latex. You can see this
on the axiom-test--1/src/doc/Rosetta wiki page because the only
error in the latex log is due to the \chapter command which is
not defined for \documentclass{article}.

> In fact src/doc/Makefile.pamplet has a target where I don't
> see 'noweave'.
>
> ${DVI}/Rosetta.dvi: ${IN}/Rosetta.pamphlet
>       @echo 5 building ${DVI}/Rosetta.dvi from ${IN}/Rosetta.pamphlet
>       @(cd ${MID} ; \
>       cp ${IN}/Rosetta.pamphlet ${MID} ; \
>       if [ -z ${NOISE} ] ; then \
>        (latex Rosetta.pamphlet --interaction nonstopmode
> >${TMP}/trace ; \
>         latex Rosetta.pamphlet --interaction nonstopmode
> >${TMP}/trace ) ; \
>       else \
>        (latex Rosetta.pamphlet --interaction nonstopmode ; \
>         latex Rosetta.pamphlet --interaction nonstopmode ) ; \
>       fi ; \
>       cp Rosetta.dvi ${DVI} )
>
> @

You are right and the Makefile is wrong. Everything with extension
.pamphlet should be processed by noweave before calling latex.