Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: interpreter and with-expression

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: interpreter and with-expression
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:50:18 +0100 (CET)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
> | In Axiom getting a "new" instance of an existing type is easy,
> | you just call the constructor.
>
> I'm sorry, that is bogus argument.  Try )compile on a file that has
> category and domain definitions.
>
> | But to create a new type you
> | have to provide the constructor function.
>
> Of course.  So?
>
> |  Effectively you have
> | to "compile" the type.  In principle interpreter could transparently
> | pass the definition to the compiler, but IMHO differences in
> | interpreter and compiler language would destroy the illusion.
>
> Now, please do nail down those differences and and let see why they
> are any useful in the specific issue at hand.

I am affraid that we miscomunicate: I was trying to reconstruct the
reasons why Axiom do not handle creating categories in the interpreter.
I do not defend the status quo.

Concerning differences, a little one which probably has no useful
justification: compiler accepts "until" keyword, but this keyword is
absent in the interpreter.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden