Re: [Axiom-developer] status of windows version

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] status of windows version
Date: 21 Feb 2007 22:42:08 +0100

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> > It would be great if you could package my guessing package, too.
>
> As you know, Waldek has added your integer sequence guessing package to
> wh-sandbox, however wh-sandbox has not yet been shown to build on Windows. I
> doubt that wh-sandbox will build on Windows at this time since it was
> branched from an earlier version of build-improvements before the Windows
> build was possible. There are changes needed specifically to avoid trying to
> build the components dependent on X-windows.

Yes. In fact, that's the greatest pain of all: no HyperDoc on Windows.

> > It is quite annoying needing access to somebody's computer just to have it
> > installed. (I succeeded, though)
>
> Were you able to install GUESS on the Windows version of Axiom?

Yes, it's trivial - apart from the fact that it takes roughly half an hour to
compile. But I cannot expect anybody to start with axiom by learning how to
compile a package. Well, I could really provide an input file "compile.input"
and another one "load.input". Still, I'd like it better if it was included.

> > Another thing: is Aldor working with wh-sandbox / build- improvements?

> Aldor does work with build-improvemnts. (That is what we are currently using
> on the Axiom Wiki server.) I am not sure about wh-sandbox (because of the
> change in bootstrap method) but I believe that it should be quite easy to
> install Aldor on that version too since basically, Aldor support is just
> added on top.

Great!

> > It is quite possible that I will have a chance to present Ralf's and my
> > work at the "Seminaire Lotharingien" end of march. Would be nice to have
> > cd's as giveaways...
>
> Do you mean something like the Doyen LiveCD? Perhaps we need to encourage
> Alfredo to produce a new version...

Yes. But, as you remarked above, no Guessing package with Gold. And no
Aldor. I'd need both, plus ALLPROSE, plus aldor-combinat.

Martin