[Axiom-developer] Re: Commutative symbols was: Re: Limits in Axiom

From: Ondrej Certik
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Commutative symbols was: Re: Limits in Axiom
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:36:19 +0000

Hmmm, I would have thought that commutativity is a property of the
multiplication of the domain you are working in and not a property of a
symbol.

I know - originaly I had a special class NCMul, for noncommutative
multiplication. But first it duplicates some code and second - some
symbols are commutative and some are not and I want to mix that. It's
like when computing with matrices, like:

A*3*x*B,

where x is a variable and A,B matrices, then you want this to evaluate to:

3*x *A*B

and when you think about it, it's actually the symbols, that have this
property - either you can commute it out of the expression, or you
cannot.

Ondrej