RE: [Axiom-developer] new problem compiling wh-sandbox

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] new problem compiling wh-sandbox
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:40:05 -0400

On March 29, 2007 10:21 AM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
>
> | Martin,
> |
> | In fact you've encountered the same problem I have been
> | having trying to merge gold, build-improvements, and
> | wh-sandbox.
>
> I would be interested in understanding why I'm not seeing
> the build failure.  This is important because it would be
> good to have fixes from wh-sandbox in build-improvements.
>
> Do you have initial guesses?

I have seen problems similar to what Martin describes when
I build Axiom Gold (patch-49 and patch-50), build-improvements
and wh-sandbox on the axiom-developer.org server. The same
source codes build properly for me on SuSE 10.2.

The axiom-developer.org server runs as a shared virtual host
using a variant of the Red Hat linux kernel I am not exactly
sure the of details, but the upshot is that the linux memory
management in this configuration is a little different. As a
result it does not support the configure option

 --maxpages=256*1024

I have to manually build gcl with a smaller memory size. With
gcl-2.6.8pre it is possible to use values that are not powers
of 2 and it seems that almost any size less than 256*1024 will
work. Right now I am using

  --maxpages=196*1024

and the build completes normally.

I am not sure whether this is related to Martin and Tim's
problem or not but it is my initial guess.